Sunday 12 April 2009

What to plant now

I'm determined not to miss any planting windows this year. So here is a run down of this week's plantings with photos. I've set up a growing system for myself, which I tweak occasionally. Work routines seem to help. So here's what our small courtyard looks like at the moment. Three mini-greenhouses plus a few tables and chairs to raise the pots up a little. We're into our second big phase of planting:

From left to right:
Little gem lettuces in a plug planter, started a month ago. Some of these I'll take to plant out today on the allotment and I'll put a few in the courtyard for the odd sandwich, and in case I can't make it down to the lottie during the week.
  1. Wild Rocket ready to plant out - this is a perennial plant so I'm hoping it will save me some work as I won't have to plant it out again every year.
  2. Large coir pots with Courgettes (3) to be planted out when they are large enough.
  3. Sweetcorn
  4. Balconi tomatoes - yellow and red
  5. Small pumpkins
  6. Lunch box cucumbers (long white paris)
  7. Globe Artichokes
  8. Two large pots of leeks to plant out in June.
  9. Melon
  10. Basil
  11. Pot of strawberries recovering from their journey through the post.
  12. Sugar snap peas
  13. Two tomatoes a bit further on
  14. Two pots of flowers
  15. Pot of calendula
  16. Tray of green and gold Orach

In this picture there's calabrese (started off a month ago). Coriander and lettuce seedlings (Lollo Rosso) to be planted out when they are big enough.
Oh, and broad beans in root trainers. They'll go out on the lottie in about ten days, I would think.

Close up of the lettuce seedlings. Best get on down to the lottie. Good weather waits for no man. (Or woman).

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I like he way you are organising your planting. It's always a frenzy in spring isn't it, I line up the seed packets, in order of planting, and can't see me for seeds and trays through half of march and April!

    A couple of thoughts on two of your items. This may be different for you, but I have found coir very very slow to break down, in some instances even vigorous roots have been part bound in them. I'd be interested to hear how other people have got on with them.

    The other think is wild rocket. I grow the perennial Wild Rocket, like you and also the broader-leaved Rucola, an annual, quite vigorous and good for succession-sowing. Wild rocket is a brassica, so I tend to treat it as an annual to maintain my rotation. However I did once leave it in a side bed for 2 or three years and noticed that the leaves became less lush as the plants got older.

    ReplyDelete

Comments here. Thanks.